‘BSN N.O. – XPLODE’ Review
I feel like it’s my duty to give you guys an in-depth review of this product because I wish someone out there had put this information out there for anyone who was thinking about trying this pre-workout. I’ve searched around the internet for anyone who may have had a similar experience to mine or had any feedback or comments on how their experience with this specific product was for them but for some reason the only reviews I was able to find about N.O Xplode, mostly talk about its ingredients and whether or not it gave them a good pump. Moreover, the majority of reviewers were men – which I think this product was primarily designed for.
Before I tried the product:
Figuring out what foods and/or drinks to take before a workout has since I began attending the gym a few years ago, been a struggle. For whatever reason, around half way into my workout I start to feel dizzy or close to being too tired to continue. As a result, i’ve tried a bunch of different things from fruit, ‘healthy’ snack bars, energy drinks, coffee, porridge and more until I eventually found that a bit of dark chocolate or granola with almond milk before working out gave me enough energy to complete my workout.
In relation to my physique which I think is a contributing factor to how this product effected me, I weigh around (and this is a measurement taken from sometime toward the end of last year) – 66kg / 147lbs and i’m 5″7. My body type is slim/athletic with some extra body fat. Pretty much all the reviews I watched featured men and a few women who were at least twice my size (muscle-wise) and who were already super-fit, so off the bat I knew that this product would affect me more than it did them. There is no possible way that I can write this out in a way that I can fully or coherently explain the crap that my body went through from the moment that liquid touched my lips… but i’m going to try. My body literally exploded (pun untended)…
I’m going to list the effects this had on me over a period of around 2 hours.
- Shortly after drinking the pre-workout my lips began to tingle
- They began to tingle like crazy
- Then my face began to tingle
- And then the palms of my hands began to vigorously tingle – it felt more like itchy than tingly at this point.
- Instead of taking the bus to the gym which I sometimes do, I decided to walk because by this point I was physically incapable of remaining still.
- Once I arrived at the gym and the warm air hit me — MY ENTIRE BODY BEGAN TO TINGLE — I felt like my face had come down with a rash but after rushing into the changing room and checking my face – there was thankfully no rash!
- I then began to scramble out of my jacket and by now literally every single part of my body was uncomfortably tingling – and I mean EVERY single part!
- I had to take a moment on my own in a bathroom cubicle because I started to get nervous that I might have taken the product incorrectly – my heart was beating very quickly and I hadn’t even began to workout. After telling my self to suck it up because it was my decision to put that sachet into my system without doing much research – I left the cubicle and went to begin my workout… and appear as normal as I could.
- All I had to do was wait until the pre-workout had run its course and i’d be fine.
- I’m around 15 minutes into my treadmill session and I realise that anytime I slow down the intense tingling comes back and so I continue my session, running longer and at a speed that I don’t usually run on – not because I feel more energised but because I want the tingling to stop.
- Overall, I was in the gym for almost 2 hours.
Does it do what it says on the packet?
Energy – Was at a 10, despite my mini panic attack, I didn’t have that tired feeling I usually get half way into my workout which was good- I think the caffeine concentration had a lot to do with this.
Performance – Was very good, (8.5) I ran a lot longer and I did both longer reps and more sets. However, I definitely over-exerted my body and my muscles felt the workout for days.
Focus – When I wasn’t focusing on what was happening to my body i’d say it was pretty good – a solid 8.
Taste – Wasn’t great but bearable, leaves an after-taste.
Side-effects – The one thing that I found incredibly strange was the lack of sweat; I barely used my sweat towel – which I regularly use especially after I’ve been on the treadmill. The tingly/itchy sensation was insanely uncomfortable, almost unbearable. When I remained stationary, the tingle went up to a 12, when moving/working out, it dipped to around a 7. The tingling only began to decrease around 2 hours after I first began to feel it, and it completely went away I guess after I fell asleep (I prefer to workout in the evening). Lastly, my increased heart rate lasted just over an hour after I drank the pre-workout.
The Next Day – I felt mildly hungover. I ate a good breakfast after I woke up and I was pretty much back to normal.
Would I recommend this product?
If you’re a beginner, absolutely not. I think this is for near-seasoned gym junkies and athletes and as an intermediate gym-goer, I personally, wouldn’t use this product again. Despite the results, I definitely over-exerted my body and that insane tingly/itchy sensation I had throughout just (for me) isn’t worth the bother of using this as a pre-workout.
I hope this review of BSN N.O. Xplode helps someone out there who is thinking of trying out this particular pre-workout substance or that it reaches someone as naïve as I was who didn’t do enough research before buying this product.
Overall: ★ ★